Sodium metabisulfite is generally recognized as safe (GRAS) by regulatory agencies when used in appropriate concentrations and in accordance with good manufacturing practices. It has been approved for use as a preservative in a wide range of food and beverage products by organizations such as the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA).

However, it’s important to note that some individuals may be sensitive or allergic to sulfites, including sodium metabisulfite. For these individuals, consumption of foods or beverages containing sulfites can lead to adverse reactions, ranging from mild symptoms such as headaches or gastrointestinal discomfort to severe allergic reactions such as anaphylaxis.

Food manufacturers are required to label products containing sulfites, including sodium metabisulfite, to help consumers make informed choices and to alert individuals with sensitivities to avoid these products. Additionally, regulatory agencies set maximum allowable levels for sulfites in food products to ensure they are used safely.

For the vast majority of people, sodium metabisulfite is safe to eat in the quantities typically found in food products. However, individuals who suspect they may be sensitive to sulfites or who have experienced adverse reactions should avoid foods containing sodium metabisulfite and consult with a healthcare professional for guidance.

Is Sodium Metabisulfite Safe To Eat